Re: volumes mark 2

<quote who="Alexander Larsson">

> If nothing is on the desktop by default, and nothing gets saved there,
> will users use the desktop at all, or will it just become a glorified
> homedir-window launcher?

No, it will be a place for stuff you're working on Right Now, and launchers
or links for stuff you use regularly. This is a fine task for the desktop,
and I don't believe we need to overload it.

> (Which is how I think many of us developers use it now.) I fear that we're
> not getting a useful (and used) desktop if we restrict it to basically
> only contain things explicitly placed there by the user

I think you're too eager to make the desktop "really broadly useful", rather
than leaving it up to users to "paint the canvas". Whatever folders we use
for "Documents", "Music" and so on will be very readily accessible in the
file selector, and most likely in the default collection of 'favourites'. We
aren't creating huge obstacles here...

> because most users won't create many files/dirs there, since they mostly
> follow by example.

The behaviour of applications that work with transient files will be great
examples.

> I agree that desktop-as-home have issues, and I'm not sure its the right
> model. But it *is* trying to be a model where people will use the desktop,
> and keeping the desktop as a bunch of launchers just won't do that.

You're taking far too much responsibility for what users will do. *If* it
makes sense for the user to keep their stuff there, they will. If it
doesn't, they won't. It's been like that with Mac OS for decades. There are
ardent "desktop is where my stuff is, Macintosh HD is where computer stuff
is" users, and "desktop is for stuff I use all the time, a special folder in
Macintosh HD is for all of my files" users. They're both right.

I don't think this is a matter of wimping out on policy decisions - it's an
area where we truly do not need to define policy.

- Jeff

           "It's weird being without white noise." - Catie Flick