Re: volumes mark 2

Paolo Borelli writes:

I was not arguing about the implementation, if .desktop files are not
the right approach, let's use symlinks or in-memory objects or
whatever... I was just saying that these folders should be easyly
accesible from the desktop, but they should not physycally be into the
desktop exposing the detail that the desktop is a folder.

Its better to keep it simple in my opinion. Users are undoubtably going to unfortunately be exposed to the fact that the desktop is a folder via fileselectors in other apps (eek fileselectors). If the document folders are contained in the desktop folder, they will at least be able to make the association of "Documents" folder is on the Desktop I'll look there. THe other way just leads to confusion. Where is my "Documents" Folder. It appears on the desktop but really isnt? Huh? Better to keep the mental associations easy. What you are proposing really only helps a small minority of users and hurts the majority.

I don't really see why going up one level and being in $home would be
confusing: you would see a _normal_ folder containing a list of dirs
like "Documents", "Images" etc. I think that's way less confusing than
special casing stuff like disabling the "Open parent folder" or going in
a special dir called Desktop (as I said above most of the users don't
think of Desktop as a folder).

Your missing the point. By using the spacial metaphor, you are communicating to the user that the desktop is the computer (root to use unix terms). Its the starting point/home whatever. We need to avoid breaking this as much as possible. Once the desktop folder is firmly associated as the users workspace there will be little reason for users to be exposed to the actual home folder at all.

Creating Documents and putting a link to it on the desktop while not
putting a link to home is just a nice way to convince the casual user to
keep his files organized in subfolders and do not mess much with home.

Puttin the actual folder on the desktop is even better. It avoids all the hacks that would be needed to make it convincing and it keeps implementation even easier.

Everithing can be solved... this does not mean that we should not pick
the right way of doing things.
Unix has a clean and simple place where users manage their stuff and it
is $home. Windows doesnt, so they have invented "My Documents" which is
poor-man equivalent to $home.

Well I used to use that argument to justify using $home as the desktop (in a perfect world). However too much cruft ends up there. Its better from an interface standpoint to say $home is where apps do their user book keeping, ~/Desktop is user workspace. To the majority of users it will never matter, to the minority, well they can always put a link to $home on their desktop or use $home as their desktop.

I have the impression that instead of doing the right thing and help
users to better organize their stuff in Home we are creating a copy of
the copy, hoping that hiding stuff would make things better.

Its not a perfect solution, but given the constraints its the best of the available options. As I said in a perfect world $home might actually be the desktop. dave