Re: volumes mark 2

From: Paolo Borelli <pborelli katamail com>
What about instead creating these folders in the homedir and put by
default .desktop files (or symlinks?) on the desktop?

Well using .desktop files can be a potential pain here I pressume from a programming point of view. You would need to special this set to act like folders and though I'm not a nautilus coder, I'm pretty sure this would get messy pretty quick. KISS is my motto :)
What I mean is: ~/Desktop and
~/Documents
~/Images
etc

And what happens when the user selects the "Open Parent Folder" menu item (I pressume we will want to add this to aid in traversing hierarchy)? Folder in the desktop folder could simply disable this action but folder in $home would open home. Basically it just creates a mess of potential interacttion problems.

* still preserving the unix concept of homedir (not-gnome apps and the
shell would simply see ~/documents etc)

This can be solved easily by running apps with $CWD from within the gnome-environment as alex has already pointed out.

IIRC this is also pretty much the way Windows works:
each user has his part of the filesystem (equivalent to home) which
contains, among other things Desktop and Documents.

The windows filesystem hierarchy is an example of how not to do stuff.
dave