Re: Floppy disk auto-mounting [was: Re: Volume handling proposal]

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 19:43, iain wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 17:17, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > > Isn't it possible to have a daemon trying to mount the floppy every -
> > > say - 3 seconds ? What would be the drawbacks of such a solution ?
> >
> > A constant ticking from your computer i guess.
>
> Well, we're getting a spacial filemanager like the amiga
> We might as well go the whole hog and get the clicking disk drive too :)

All the cool kids used the nifty "noclick" utility :)

But seriously, since we have had the "mtools" thingy forever that does
not mount the disk, but simply accesses it without mounting, would it
make sense to have that kind of approach to floppies? Floppies and such
tend to get randomly ejected by users anyway, so the whole idea of
"mounting" them is kind of unsafe.

Dunno if mtools -like approach would work for zip disks and such though,
and maybe the right solution is to fix "mount" to handle those ejects
better. My skillz end here anyway so I shut up before I spew too much
uninformed crap and make a clown out of myself :)

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen :: Art Director, Ximian :: <tigert ximian com>