Re: Desktop Icon Layout (was Re: Volume handling proposal)

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 12:29, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> Sort of related to this conversation is the issue of how to layout icons on
> the desktop. One of the current problems with Nautilus is that there is no
> visual seperation between user files and folder, devices and the trash can.
>
> ONe solution that I've considered in the past is to place the trash in the
> bottom right corner (as on the mac), device icons such as computer, network
> and mounted devices (cdroms) in the upper right corner and place user
> folders and files in the upper left corner. I realize this might not be
> doable in the 2.6 time frame but it is something to keep in mind i pressume.

Wherever one puts them, one important thing for removable / user
mountable devices/folders would be that when they appear on the desktop
and you move them and/or assign emblems and custom icons to them, they
would *keep those characteristics* the next time you mount the device.
So that your camera would contain your "Olympus Digicam" icon and it
would be on the same location every time you plug the thing in.
Currently those custom settings can be defined, but they get lost when
the device/folder gets unmounted.

Also while we discuss stuff on the desktop, it might be the good time to
remove the (seemingly arbitary) limitation: you cannot make shortcuts
from ftp:// to desktop. I know shortcuts are symlinks between local
disks, but one could just as fine create a .desktop file for those
mounts that are for remote filesystems. So local linking would make
symlinks and remote ones would create a .desktop file that points to the
linked location.

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen :: Art Director, Ximian :: <tigert ximian com>