Re: Volume handling proposal

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 22:48, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 19:19, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 17:39, Julien Olivier wrote:
> >
> > > The problem is that, as you can't automatically newly inserted floppies,
> > > you have to display un-mounted floppies. Consequently, for consistency
> > > reasons, you should also display unmounted CD/DVD drives. Or find a way
> > > to auto-detect floppies...
> >
> > Yeah, I guess I'm too used to the Solaris volume management daemon doing
> > exactly that :)
>
> Gnome as a system cannot even rely on this for CD/DVD. We have to run on
> crap old unixes where there is not CD autodetection too. And its not
> acceptable if you're totally unable to reach your CD on those systems.

I think the "Computer" or whatever view that shows the volumes should
show the floppy and CD drives since they are "connected devices" while
the Desktop should only show the "media" if it is present. And file
dialogs should have a way to access those devices where we cannot
autodetect. Showing the "mounted" media and shares on the desktop is
useful since then you have a quick way to access them with one click. If
you happen to be a special user who has 53 NFS shares mounted and they
clutter your desktop then the .hidden is for you :-) Most users probably
dont have that many. Seeing them on the desktop is useful, plus now that
I think of it, I think those user-mountable shares should remember their
location and the icon you might set on them. That would be good for the
spatial model, so you can arrange your mounts on a specific corner of
the desktop and label them with different icons or emblems to make it
easier to tell which one is which.

And like I said already, we need to forget the idea of "mounting"
something, that should be transparent to the users. Users can just pop
out a floppy after they read a file or wrote to the disk anyway.

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen :: Art Director, Ximian :: <tigert ximian com>