Re: spatial stuff detail

On lun, 2003-09-15 at 10:30 -0400, Dave Camp wrote:
> I just committed the start of the spatial UI stuff to the
> nautilus-spatial-playground branch.  It'd be nice if people could
> pound on it for a little bit.

I'm very very happy :-)))))))))))))))))))

> * Object windows are one-window-per-location.  They do not have the
>   following UI:
>   - Search UI
>   - Back and Forward
>   - Bookmarks menu
>   - Toolbars
>   - Side pane
And Go menu too, isn't it?

Plus IMHO:

*  s/File/Folder , with only Properties, Close all and Close menu items

*  move "Create New Folder" in Edit menu? This action change the
"document" contents (see HIG), so I belive edit is the proper place

* how can I open "special" folders like start-here: or burn: or fonts:
?????

> Some open UI questions:
>
> * I moved "Open in New Window" to "Open With -> Navigation Window".  I
>   thought that this might reinforce the idea of the browser as a
>   separate app.  Any thoughts?

Yeah, very bad label :-(

"File browser"? Under "Accessories" ?

Oh, BTW: remove Home folder and network from application menu, please.

>    - put a "- Nautilus" (or whatever) string after the current
>      directory (or whatever the hig suggests for this sort of thing).

It should be GNOME_HIG_OK, just prob s/Nautilus/File Browser (or other,
see previous)

------------------------
And now some sparse notes.

I'm very happy about this change. IMHO is the best solution: we can have
_BOTH_ metaphors, this is important. So all can be happy.
Win users complain Be Tracker. Be users (??) complain Explorer. Who
cares? GNOME has both!!! This is really the desktop for everyone.

BTW I hope you can "switch" from OO to navigation from
DeskPref -> File management -> Behavior tab -> Open new window

Very important: OOnautilus need a way to open a sub-sub-sub-sub-folder
without open too much windows. Without this, and without a good and
simple implementation of this, all user will switch to "file browser"

What about text files? Open them using gedit or implement a viewer (with
a text search entry)?

--
Think bigger

			My uncle