Re: Nautilus 2.6 - We're going all spatial

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 09:28, Dave Camp wrote:

> object windows will give you new object windows.  You can right click
> on a folder from an object window and select "Navigate Folder"[1], and
> get a normal nautilus window.

I've used the finder in Mac OS 6-9 and I hated it - spring-loaded
folders were its only saving grace, and we can't have those. (stupid
patents... *grumble*)  While I have to say I personally doubt the theory
that a spatial file manager really reaps any significant usability gains
over browser designs like Nautilus, I'm not a HCI expert and don't
pretend to be, so maybe I'm underestimating peoples' reliance on spatial
orientation *for computing*.  Anyhow, to get to my point:  I'm guessing
I'm not alone in that I can't see myself *ever* liking the object
windows in Nautilus.  I can't believe I'm going to say this, but...  I
can't help but wonder if maybe there's a legitimate case for a
preference here, along the lines of "Open in Navigation windows by
default".

Is there a legitimate case here, or am I just being weak and whining?
;)  Comments?

Kudos to the Nautilus team, though - 2.4 totally rocks (huzzah for
snap-to-grid!), and I'm glad that you're unafraid to try something new
and different in the name of furthering GNOME's uber-usability!

 - jck

--
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man
progress depends on the unreasonable man."

 - George Bernard Shaw