nautilus desktop background

id like to suggest something i dont know if its possible to do it maybe
someone cvould tell me; nautilus uses a canvas object to display the
desktop background and icons, that makes very difficult (i dont even
know if its possible) to work with the background pixmap without using
gconf, my suggestion is y dont we use the pixmap the root window uses?
its easy to get a pointer to taht pixmap and that way it would bve easy
for anyone to manipulate the background (for eye candy progs for
example)