MIME Types for folders

Hi !

Here's an idea I have alays had in my tortured mind. And I'd like to share it with you, fellow hackers:

I think it would be very useful if Nautilus could assign a set of mime-types to a folder depending on the mime types of the files it contains.

For example, if you have a folder called "Documents" containing both pictures and videos, right-clicking on this folder should enable you to open the folder using Nautilus (default handler for folders), or using GThumb (if gthumb is the default handler for pictures), or using Totem (if it's the default handler for videos).

That would need to have a way to specify whether an app can open a folder (like it's possible to specify whether an app can open a file on a remote server).

In a prefect world, you could configure your system to open pictures using GIMP by default and folders contaning pictures using GThumb. Or to open music files using Totem and folder contaning music files using Rhythmbox.

How (if ever) would that work with the current MIME specification ?