Re: display full path in spatial nautilus

Murray Cumming Comneon com writes:

I do think that we need a way for the user to discover the current path
quickly, although it does not need to be displayed constantly. I think a
File/"Properties of Current Folder" menu item next to the current
File/Properties menu item would do this well enough, as long as there's an
accelerator key for it.
On the Mac, you click on the title bar to see the folder hierarchy. That
does the job, but it is not very discoverable.

Well as a "navigation" tool the mac window path popups that were in os8 are pretty nice. Though slightly hidden they do give the slightly more advance users a quick way to move up the filesystem hierarchy from the current folder. I actually have filed a metacity requesting support for these in wm_spec, wonder if it will ever happen though :/

What I think would be a better solution imo would be to change the list view to be more like the macos9 list view (ie a tree). This would allow you to view multiple levels of hierarchy within the same window and has the added benefit of displaying hierarchy as a visual element as oppose to requiring users to see the filesystem path string and than convert it mentally into the filesystem folder model. This way I could open my nautilus cvs folder and view the whole code base as a single project which would be pretty useful.

Yes, making the list view like the MacOS list view, would we wonderful. I
don't think it helps much with this particular problem but it would help
avoid the need for the spring-loaded-folders feature, because we can have
automatically-opening tree items instead.

I stating that this would be a solution to the problem that advance users encounter when they have many folder names ..../src for instance. Instead of having ten open .../src folders users can have the parent folder (epiphany, nautilus, gedit etc.) folder open and can view the sub folder src within that folder so that they are clear about what they are looking at.
dave