Re: FTP performance (was Re: Performance)

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 13:23, Bertrand wrote:
> Alexander Larson wrote:

> >My guess is that konqueror is faster in this example because it matches
> >mime types for mp3 by extension, instead of sniffing. I prefer getting
> >correct results over speed though.
>
> Of course you can wait on local directories. But over ftp ? nfs ?
> Here and now, nautilus (2.4.0) is just unusable to transfer files via ftp from
> directories with thousands of files (example : rpms repositories) : it takes
> too much times to render the content of the directory, then too much time to
> begin the download of the file you select. In the latter case, I've got here
> more than a minute of huge processor activity sessions alternating with huge
> net activity sessions, before the real download of the file begins.

We don't do mimetype sniffing on ftp, or remote directories in general.
I know that the ftp support sucks, but i don't think thats due to
general nautilus issues really, just that nobody is working on the ftp
gnome-vfs backend.

> I think there is at least one problem for rendering ftp directories : nautilus
> seems to rerender the icon view each time another file is added to the
> directory content during its listing via ftp (you can see that the icon appear
> one to one). It's specially long with the list view and the icon wiew, when
> you deselect the "remember icon position" option.
> But even when a nautilus window is set to remember the icons positions, it's
> still very long to render it.

This might be better in 2.4.1, which doesn't render anything before all
the directory has been read.

> The second is : why all this net traffic before beginning a ftp download ?

No idea. Do you want to work on the gnome-vfs ftp backend to figure out
why and fix it? We need people to work on it.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an unconventional ninja jungle king with no name. She's a cynical
gold-digging socialite who don't take no shit from nobody. They fight crime!