Re: about adding pop menu in treeview

I'm not sure what sort of things we want in the tree context menu. Do we
want all the normal ones like cut, make link and rename? If we do, we
might actually want that these are in the main menus too, even if the
main view doesn't show a directory. However, that causes lots of trouble

for the menu operations, I mean, which selection does Edit -> Rename
affect, the one in the tree or the one in the main view.

This depends on the focus. If the focus is on the tree, the action regards the currently selected item in the tree. Don't know if this is possible. Maybe it would be necessary to track the focus in some way. I am not sure.

I think the right way is for the tree view to have its own BonoboUI file
defining its own context menu, and then a few generic functions need to
be extracted from fm-directory view, for handling things like file
activation and file cut and paste.

I still second the other people's opinion of reusing the popup menu code. IMHO it should be detached from FMDirectoryView. Actually, a lot of stuff should be detached from nautilus and moved to a library with a stable API.

Nautilus should export to the other GNOME applications its ability to:
- Manage files (move/copy/trash, etc)
- Discover file icons
- Show a popup menu for a file
- Decide which program should be run to open a file
- Fetching properties of a file
- Changing properties of files
- Show a FMDirectoryView
- Show a tree

Nautilus-the-program would be a simple shell/frontend to this library.

This big change would:
1. Enrich the GNOME framework
2. Improve application interoperability
3. Increase consistency between GNOME applications by code sharing
4. Promote the innovation of file management in GNOME, since people would be able to implement Nautilus-the-library frontends without needing to reimplement the GREAT nautilus core functions.

Imagine if gThumb, for instance, was able to use same Tree as nautilus, the same popup menus, the same code for moving/copying/deleting files, etc.

Think of SHELL32.DLL from MICROS~1.
See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library
/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_intro.asp

(the URL is word-wrapped)

Nautilus is a generic file manager. But there always will be specialized file managers for images, music, games, movies, code!, etc. It would be nice if these specialized FMs used code from Nautilus.

These are my poor 2 cents.

Best regards,

--
Fabio Gomes de Souza <fabio gs2 com br> (+55 81 9127-0597)

.- GS2 TECNOLOGIA DA INFORMACAO LTDA :: www.gs2.com.br
|- IT Infrastructure :: Security :: Embedded systems :: Linux
`- Olinda, Brazil - +55 81 3492-7777 - negocios gs2 com br