RE: shift=and-close-the-current-folder?

> From: Alexander Larsson [mailto:alexl redhat com]
> You're missing one thing: shift-click is extend selection in
> the list view (and we want to extend this to the icon view
> too), so shift-double-click doesn't work well (it can unselect items).

I didn't realise that it would have that effect. Isn't it OK if the item is
reselected afer the 2nd click of the shift-double-click? That's actually
what happens now.

> Personally I think Ctrl-Alt-up/down + Ctrl-double click would
> be a better combo.

Yes, I'm willing to push that option instead if this one hits a wall. The
only obstacle to Ctrl-Alt-Up/Down that I know of now is the use of
Ctrl-Up/Down for accessibility focus moving.

> Ctrl-click means "select without
> unselecting rest", so if we make sure the behaviour of this
> selection mode is right (like the current icon view)
> ctrl-double-click is non-destructive, and we can use that.
>
> Of course, ctrl-alt-up/down conflicts with metacity again.
> However, I think this it is ok to remove this binding in
> metacity because:
> * I consider this form of workspace switching quite
> inefficient, and I think heavy users of workspaces already
> mapped up Ctrl-Fn or similar to immediately go to the right workspace.
> * Causual users can use the workspace switcher
> * Other applications are bound to want the alt-ctrl-arrow
> keys also, they are very useful
>
> Of course, this is the defaults. We still allow users to map
> <whatever>-arrow to switch workspaces.

I don't think the majority of people are going to change the defaults.
Actually, I couldn't even find how to do it in Red Hat 9.

> And maybe we should
> change alt-shift to do workspace switching instead of
> move-window-to-workspace, since that operation is in the
> window menu, so you can already use the keyboard with:
> alt-space <number>.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net