Re: advanced nautilus usage

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 10:34, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 10:38, John Smith wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 05:25, Frank Worsley wrote:
> > > AFAIK, launchers from remote locations are not started since it's a
> > > possible security issue.
> > >
> > > - Frank

> > Sorry Frank,
> >
> > 	I don't think that's valid: I'm using ssh. BTW, if I start
> > 'ssh remotehost nautilus' go to 'applications:///Accessories' and
> > click Calculator, it works as expected. So why do regular (ie. menu
> > placed apps) work as expected and manually created launchers don't?
>
> This is what the code does:
>
> /* Don't allow command execution from remote locations where the
>  * uri scheme isn't file:// (This is because files on for example
>  * nfs are treated as remote) to partially mitigate the security
>  * risk of executing arbitrary commands.
>  */
> if (!eel_vfs_has_capability (desktop_file_uri,
> 			     EEL_VFS_CAPABILITY_SAFE_TO_EXECUTE)) {
> 	eel_show_error_dialog
> 		(_("Sorry, but you can't execute commands from "
> 		   "a remote site due to security considerations."),
> 		 _("Can't execute remote links"),
> 		 parent_window);
>
> 	return;
> }
>
> this is to avoid e.g. clicking on a desktop file that has the same icon
> as a folder on a public ftp site and having the desktop file run "rm -rf
> ~/".
>
> > 	Second time I run into a nautilus/remote issue. I once asked
> > here something about copying between local and remote nautilus
> > windows, which isn't possible either. In my opinion nautilus/gnome
> > is the next best thing after sliced bread, but in order to compete
> > with Windows Explorer, these are trivial things that should work out
> > of the box, given the advantages that *nix has over Windows: remote
> > execution/local display of applications.
> >
> > 	Wish- or buglist?
>
> Not being able to copy between local and remote window is certainly a
> bug.
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc
>                    alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
> He's a scarfaced white trash cat burglar with a robot buddy named Sparky.
> She's an enchanted insomniac barmaid who don't take no shit from nobody. They
> fight crime!

Hi Alexander,

	thanks for your explanation, I'll be able to hack around the
security feature with that. Would be nice though to make that a (compile
time?) configurable option, default disabled of course ;-). Imho it is
a bound to fail security measure. Like disabling executables for rsh
access ;-).
	I will probably be able to test the local-remote window copy
again between to identical (Debian) stations (still have to be
installed) in the weeks to come and will report back then.

Sincerely,

Jan.