Re: Major change in desktop handling

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 07:00, Mattias Eriksson wrote:

> First I must say that the changes Alex has done is a great improvement,
> ~/Desktop is alot better than ~/.gnome-desktop (And I think we all agree
> on this).
>
> The discussion have however turned into the usual $HOME as desktop long
> threaded discussion with no end. And since we are never going to agree
> on this, I suggest the following:
>
> 1. File and fix bugs to impove $HOME as Desktop - It's not currently
> ready for primetime (You must be able to hide dirs, it is confusing that
> some dirs just appears).
>
> 2. When $HOME is ready for primetime, a usability testing should be
> done, as suggested by Abe.
>
> 3. Make a decition based on the usability testing and stand by it. One
> of the current problem is that there are no formal decission on this, so
> people pro $HOME as desktop (like me...) tend to take every chance to
> start a long thread about it...
>
> //Snaggen

The one thing I get out of this whole thread is that people **want** to
have a choice of where their desktop resides, $HOME or ~/Desktop or
~/.desktop or whatever.

I see no reason why a simple GConf key can't solve this with a default
to ~/Desktop.

This allows us power users to still have $HOME as desktop.

Could an explanation be given why a GConf key wouldn't work, after all
just because we can't foresee a very necessary reason to change the
desktop, doesn't mean it won't appear.

--
George Farris <george gmsys com>