Re: Major change in desktop handling

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 22:05, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 12:11:09AM +0100, MArk Finlay wrote:
> > If were going to have this argument then I think that now is as
> > good a time as any. One thing we don't want to do is to migrate to
> > ~/Desktop and then to ~/
>
> My point was kind of that we already had the argument a few times. ;-)

I don't know if this will make any difference, but I just have to say
it:

Please DO SOME USABILITY TESTING on this!!!

As in, pick a few users, with different experience and OS backgrounds,
have them sit down and use Nautilus with home-as-desktop and
~/Desktop-as-desktop, and see how they like it.  It would only take a
few minutes with each user.  Have them download a file, save it to disk,
and then open it.  Have them create a "Documents" directory, open
Abiword, and save to the directory they created.  And so forth.  You're
sure to find some interesting results that will let you make an educated
decision on this.

For the record, I've used home-as-desktop for the past year or so, and I
love it.  But I'm a software developer with years of experience using
Linux as my everyday desktop OS, so I don't think my opinions
necessarily reflect those of the average user.

Abe