Re: Major change in desktop handling

fre 2003-05-16 klockan 06.33 skrev Dave Camp:
> Here's my objection to $HOME-as-the-desktop:
>
> Nautilus' desktop should be a user-managed space.  System-managed files
> do not belong on the desktop, even if they are hidden.

I must say that I see your point and I agree that this is how it should
be. The problem is that most applications doesn't handle system-manage
files and user-manage files differently, most apps store the settings a
dot-files in $HOME, but also suggetsts $HOME if a user want to save a
file. This is the problem and why this discussion will never die ;)

Use $HOME as a desktop improves the usability by letting saved stuff be
placed on the desktop, and I doesn't have to use "cd" to get to my
"pseudo home". The desktop-dir will however be cluttered with
system-managed files, this is a trade-off I'm willing to make.

If Nautilus had a way to hide ordinary files and dirs $HOME would make a
good default. And if it was default applications like evolution would
probably start to hide their files (I know some of the evolution guys
are keep saying that they will make it happen, but I still se it
there...).

//Snaggen

--
Mattias Eriksson <snaggen acc umu se>