Re: Major change in desktop handling

I also vote for $HOME as desktop.

At first I thought that was a crazy idea, but after actually trying it
there is just no way of going back.

In the olden days when there only was the console your home dir was
basically what people now think of as the desktop. A place where you put
your files and work with your files. Why introduce a new concept of
desktop (or home dir) now?

For the sceptics, all I can suggest is that you actually try running with
$HOME as your desktop. Originally I didn't believe it was a good idea
until I tried it myself.

Of course, this is kind of a holy war, so the best thing would be a
configuration option to set whatever dir you want to your desktop dir.

Just my 2 cents,

- Frank

PS: If you don't like seeing all the .desktop files in your home dir when
you do an ls try this: alias ls='ls --ignore="*.desktop"'

PPS: Thanks to Alex and co for applying my url_show patches.