Show Desktop Button behavior

When I click the "Show Desktop" button, it minimizes all the windows, but if I open something on the desktop it re-shows all the windows. I'd expect it to leave the windows minimized until I'm finished doing what I'm doing on the desktop.

Here's the behavior would I expect it to have (in pseudo-code)

Click button
{
   if (there are windows open) {
     minimize them all;
     "remember" which ones were minimized;
   } else {
     if (there are "remembered windows");
       show the "remembered windows";
     else
       do nothing;
   }
}

Does anyone else agree w/ me? If not, I would like to create my own patch for personal use. Can someone point me to the relevant source ?

Thanks,
Ben Davis