Re: "Keep Aligned" mode in nautilus

<quote who="Murray Cumming Comneon com">

> > From: Jeff Waugh [mailto:jdub perkypants org]
> > > Put it all in a folder and sort it. Nobody's desktop needs to get that
> > > complicated.
> >
> > Murray, that's a really unproductive, pointless and thoroughly
> > inaccurate comment.
>
> But I'm serious. I guess I was thinking about just the desktop, and it
> might be worthwhile to arrange an icon-view of a folder just as you can
> sort a list view. But even then, I do think you should switch to a list
> view when you want that much order.

Perhaps you're misunderstanding the feature (which, by the way, already
exists in Nautilus): It means tidying the contents of the desktop up, and
sorting it by name.

> Does the Mac have an "Arrange-icons-by-sorting-by-anything" feature? It
> doesn't sound like it's needed by the vast majority of people, and not
> really needed by the minority either.

Absolutely. Both the Windows desktop and the MacOS Finder desktop have these
features (as well as clean up without sorting).

- Jeff

--
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland             http://www.guadec.org/

    "Python amazes me for its concision. The current prototype is all of
       900 lines of code, yet it contains a lexer, parser (recursive
       descent), core language interpreter, and parallelizing process
                      spawner." - Raph Levien on Rebar