Re: Possible solution to the spring loaded folders headache

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Gaute Lindkvist wrote:

> The patch from iain showed that this kind of feature is really difficult
> to be without as soon as you have seen it implemented.
>
> Because of this, the whole patent issue made me pretty sad, and I'm sure
> I'm not the only one.
>
> Just a few minutes ago, I thought about a possible solution that could
> provide the same kind of functionality without violating the patent
> (IANAL).
>
> What if you opened up a pretty regular GTK-menu instead of a new window.
> This menu could look very much like the standard foot menu, except it
> would contain the contents of the folder (only subfolders, not files)
>
> See mockup:
> http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~lindkvis/idea.png
>
> This might not be ideal, but it should be reasonably easy to implement,
> and should work.
>
> Dropping the file on either the Media-folder itself or the open space
> (should not be THAT large) in the menu could drop the file in the Media
> folder instead of a sub folder.
>
> If this idea have already been mentioned I sorry for not seeing that post.

I don't see how this avoids any part of the patent[1].
Which claim do you think you avoid? Even though the window looks different
it still "includes identifiers within the window corresponding to objects
enclosed by the opened enclosure".

[1]
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F6307545

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an all-American Republican senator from the Mississippi delta. She's a
green-fingered blonde magician's assistant living on borrowed time. They fight
crime!