Re: Regarding Nautilus scripts

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 18:09, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> Yeah, but the existance of the .server file doesn't make anything easier,
> does it? Not even for the packager.
> I believe that the .server file is completely reduntant. The whole thing
> should be handled automatically when installing/dropping the compiled binary
> on a specified dir on the system or on your ~

Nautilus uses bonobo for its plugins, which is the standard way to do
component software in gnome.  Bonobo uses .server files.  If you would
like to discuss the bonobo design decisions wrt server files, please
start a new thread on gnome-components-list.

Software installation on unix is generally not a matter of putting a .so
somewhere.  We're not going to design around that fact for one tiny bit
of the system

Thanks for your comments,
-dave