Re: Regarding Nautilus scripts

<quote who="Eugenia Loli-Queru">

> Addons are not just about finding files though. You either talk about File
> Roller around here, or about the Medusa-grep thing. I can think of 15 more
> useful addons in which you don't have any answer to give me on how they
> can be implemented with Nautilus.

So what you're saying is: "Addons are things that do different things."

In Nautilus, these are generally referred to in technical terms as "mime
activation plugins", but a user doesn't give a tinker's cuss what they're
called, so long as they appear in the menu.

Now, the people in this thread have used File Roller, Medusa and (I'll throw
in another one) Seahorse as examples because they already exist, and are
reasonably sensible uses of the system.

You can think of 15 more useful "addons", and the people participating in
this thread are telling you that they would be implemented with the mime
activation system. If you want to do proof of concept versions, try Python.

It looks like there are a couple of areas that have been mixed up in this
thread. Perhaps you'd like to summarise what your thoughts are on these, so
we know if you're confused or not?

  1) Nautilus Scripts vs. Mime Activation Plugins ("Addons")

  2) Top Level Menu vs. Submenus (like the Scripts Menu)

  3) Why any of this matters anyway / what are your suggestions?

- Jeff

--
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland             http://www.guadec.org/

     "Just because I sit in front of a terminal all day doesn't mean I
      couldn't hunt you down and righteously kick your ass to feed my
          newfound cannabalism." - Darwinian System Administration