Re: Regarding Nautilus scripts

Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:

yes, based on MIME types, it can add to the context menu everthing it
wants.

Personally, I am not sure if I prefer this, or if I prefer this in
conjuction to addons.

<stuff deleted>

via a component, yes, activated via the nautilus context menu. This
means that you call the specialized app to do the job, instead of
overloading with features nautilus.

I believe that Nautilus will be overloaded with these mime extentions in its
toplevel menu anyway. And the loading of third party apps that don't do the
specialized thing asked but loading their full monty, is just wrong for this
type of thing I wanted to present here. When I need an "mp3 to ogg", I just
want a small window to popup and only have 2-3 options that I can click (or
none at all in the dos2unix, or touch) and do the job immediately, without
having to load full applications that are complex and do more of what I
really ask.

I believe that MIME integration should be there, but it not the same as an
addon architecture. It won't work well for everyone, and in some cases it
might bloat Nautilus' top level menu.
Eugenia,

Mime extensions/handlers are able to add themselves into the *context menu*. For example if you right click on an archive file in nautilus, it will give you the options.

- Add to archive
- Extract here
- Extract to a subfolder
- Extract to...

The options presented are dependent on the file selected. If you have more than one file selected only the operations that are common to all files selected are presented. (I'm using the latest CVS version of nautilus, I can't recall when all this came in).

I'm pretty sure that this is what you are asking for? Its just, as a previous poster mentioned, this stuff takes time to get right. Scripts are for quick and dirty, but the architecture is in place to do it properly. There is no bloat, and there is no overcrowding of top-level menus or context menus.

Cheers,
Long.