Re: Patches improving tree view (multi-root and auto-follow)

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 18:23, Mark Finlay wrote:
> * One thing that is odd to me is that <username> is the top level
> of the home tree - it seems superflous.
Yes, probably we should call it "Home" or better "Home Folder" as it is
called in Gnome's Applications menu.

> *Also we need a better icon for the root tree
Sure, I just couldn't find one in the theme so I took the default folder
icon as a temporary solution. Does already a suiting icon exist or do we
need new ones?

> * ideally the network tab would have more than
> just smb: in it, and would have network:// as it's top level.
I'll change that.

> * All vfs urls should have a place somewhere in the heirarchy.
Would probably be nice, is there a way to get all available vfs modules?

> The biggest problem i can see with the tab-on-the-side design is that it
> is cunfusing to have both that and the sidebar dropdown list. With that
> said I prefer the sidetabs to having multiple roots in the same sidebar,
> so I hope we can work it out.
I didn't thought of that but you've got a point. IMO we shouldn't add
the items from the dropdown list as sidetabs as I think this would be
confusing, too. We would mix tabs with very different functionality
(history, emblems, info,...) with a group of tabs with similar
functionality (tree of the home folder, tree of the filesystem root,
tree of the network servers,...). Unfortunately I don't know a nice
possibility either.

> Great work Jurg - this is making nautilus start to look like a file
> manager again :)
Thx for your comments. That was my hope :)

Jürg Billeter
j bitron ch