Re: Some Ideas about Previewing and Multiple Media handling in Nautilus [was: Killing Views Part 2 ... ]

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 03:19:58AM -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 01:55, Alan wrote:
> > > there's no need to reinvent this... Second, while I'd love for the
> > > preview to be "tethered" to the file in question, how do you propose to
> > > do this? The sidebar of Nautilus is probably too small and has other
> > > uses besides preview that we don't want to preclude (e.g. tree). A
> > > tooltip would obfuscate the rest of your Nautilus window.
> >
> > Sounds like gtk needs os/x "drawers" :)
>
> Funny you should mention that.  I've just been playing around with
> implementing these today.  My approach is to use _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE,
> and set it to a new value, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DRAWER.  It's just a fun
> little hack I've been playing with.  If there's interest, I can post it
> somewhere when it works.

I'd be interested.  Hopefully the gtk team would be interested in
implementing/merging something like this.  I know it's not "innovation"
per se, but taking a good idea and running with it....

Alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain