Re: Some Ideas about Previewing and Multiple Media handling in Nautilus [was: Killing Views Part 2 ... ]

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 17:44, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> Very nice mockup Josh, that might persuade some people, but as below I
> have some concerns with your ideas in turn, as you had with mine. With
> luck we can bash each others ideas against each other and come out with
> a superior result. :)

Let's get ready to rumble.

> What if I want a preview, then launch some apps, then preview again,
> etc. I either have to constantly turn preview on and off, which I think
> is *unnecessary* work, or I have to put up with the preview window
> sticking around where ever it is placed. What if I like the "Preview
> Behavior", and choose to have this behavior as default?

There is nothing in my model that would dissuade you from doing this. As
I stated in the document, when preview mode is activated, it, like your
proposal, works on mouseovers... The user can use left-click to launch
apps... Then when Nautilus is made active again, the user can preview
again since preview mode has not been deactivated... And the preview
window is a window, thus it can be resized and moved... If you like
preview behavior as a default, then it can always be left on...

> If you read
> below, I think my ideas can handle these possibilities, by considering
> preview not to be a Tool, but instead a mode of behavior that can be
> entered and left. In View Mode, as I will call it, mouse-over does the
> preview thing, and in Regular Mode, mouse-over does NOT do the preview
> thing!

This is what I'm describing... The button in the toolbar of Nautilus
makes it easy to go from your View Mode to your Regular Mode...

> Also I think the positioning of the View window is of critical
> importance, if it gets stuck willy-nilly about the desktop it could
> become a major annoyance for users. I think for usability and window
> placement reasons, the window should be tethered by some graphical means
> to the file in question.

First, Metacity or whatever your window manager has placement logic...
there's no need to reinvent this... Second, while I'd love for the
preview to be "tethered" to the file in question, how do you propose to
do this? The sidebar of Nautilus is probably too small and has other
uses besides preview that we don't want to preclude (e.g. tree). A
tooltip would obfuscate the rest of your Nautilus window.

> I will work with some mockups to help illustrate my ideas more clearly.
> Below is also my previous post, included because I think I had some
> important ideas you mockup didnt address.

Please specify which those are... :-D

-jag

Joshua Adam Ginsberg           Cellphone: 970.749.8530
Rice University '02            Email: joshg myrealbox com
St. Mark's School of Texas '98
"All your code are belong to us." -The SCO Group