Re: where is emblem info stored ?

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2003, MArk Finlay wrote:
>
> > > Unfortunately there is another problem with the whole custom emblem thing.
> > > If you use a theme that doesn't inherit from "gnome" the emblems in
> > > ~/.icons/gnome/48x48/emblems would not be picked up, and this is where the
> > > custom emblem install in nautilus places them...
> >
> > This I really don't think you can do anything about - that would be a
> > theme issue. All themes should really inherit from gnome.
>
> There are reasons to not inherit from gnome. If your "look" is
> sufficiently different from the gnome theme a "default" icon looks better
> than a gnome-style icon for a mimetype that isn't yet in your theme.
>
> This is especially so when you have a "generic" icon. i.e.
> "gnome-mime-video" that matches all mimetypes video/* that doesn't have a
> more specific icon. If the inherited theme (gnome) has a more specific
> icon (e.g. "gnome-mime-video-mpeg") it will be used instead of your
> generic icon, which leads to clashes in look.
>
> A possible solution could be to add a function that lets you look up a
> list of icons in inheritance order. This would allow you to match mime
> icons in a better way, thus somewhat helping out. But some themes still
> might now want to inherit from gnome.
>
> There is a theme that is *always* inherited. It's called "hicolor" and is
> used to share fallback application icons with e.g. kde and 3rd party apps.
> You need to download[1] and install it for fallbacks to work though, and
> it doesn't have an emblems directory. It is also a common namespace that
> we can't really pollute.
>
> [1] http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/icon-theme-spec/hicolor-icon-theme-0.2.tar.gz

Another way to handle this is to add a X-Gnome-DontInheritMime key to the
theme file. This could then be used by a massive hack in the icon loader
to avoid inheritance for mime icons.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a fast talking alcoholic rock star on his last day in the job. She's a
violent paranoid journalist living on borrowed time. They fight crime!