Re: nautilus-list digest, Vol 1 #391 - 6 msgs

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 18:00, nautilus-list-request gnome org wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 04:39:09 -0500 (EST)
> From: Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>
> To: Dave Camp <dave ximian com>
> Cc: Ettore Perazzoli <ettore ximian com>,
> 	Nautilus Mailinglist <nautilus-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: Proposal for bug 73937 / symlinks in nautilus
>
> On 18 Jan 2003, Dave Camp wrote:
>
> > I think the answer depends on whether we think symlinks are usually used
> > as filesystem fixups or "bookmarks".  I'd want the new behavior for the
> > former and the old for the latter.
> >
> > I agree that usually they're used as filesystem fixups, and the average
> > user doesn't usually need to do that.  But the way nautilus exposes
> > symlinks in the ui makes them more likely to be used by the users as
> > bookmarks.  I usually use "Link Here" from the context menu to create
> > bookmarks, not to fix up the filesystem.
> >
> > I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that nautilus is used for browsing
> > a user's personal stuff more often than it is used for browsing the
> > system files.  I'd also guess that for the average nautilus user
> > bookmarks are more common than fixups in the personal space,
> > particularly for inexperienced users.
> >
> > I'm not particularly attached to either solution.  I'd say that we don't
> > have a clear enough case to change the behavior people are used to, so I
> > think I'd go for reverting the change.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
>
> Ok. I'm reverting this.
>
> --
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc

If you revert this, the following behavior - we described it a thousand
times - will be possible:

Admin made a symlink to /home/user/tmp ->/mnt/tmp
and /tmp ->/var/tmp
If I cd to ~/tmp or /tmp in nautilus I will end up in / or /mnt if using
the up key. So the user will get lost in the system fs :)

Is this really wanted?
I'm a user. It will not please me.

Please don't expand symlinks to their physical location , I beg.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Basic, n.:
	A programming language.  Related to certain social diseases in
that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.