Re: media side panel

Wolfgang Pichler wrote:
> hi everyone,
>
> i've got my media side panel working a little bit better. You can see
> the component now at:
> http://www.dialog-online.at/Screenshot-nautilus.png
>
> It also has an add URI dialog to add what you like - the home uri was a
> problem because of the hash table where the node-file relation is
> stored. So i've added a vfolder which only points to ~ to gnome-vfs - so
> that home:/// will give me my home dir (wouldn't this be a generally
> good idea?). The Problem at time is that when i add all the uris in the
> source code - then some of them wont work (and i really don't know why).
> Now i am thinking about how to save the state (which uris are added) -
> what is the prefered way for this (over gconf) ? What about adding it to
> nautilus for 2.4 ?

I think that the idea of an user expandable/customizable, "desktop",
"media" and "network" oriented side panel is great. At the moment,
though, it looks confusing to me, for instance:

- there are many "/" dirs, none of which resembles the usual filesystem
layout: the "/" symbol should be avoided;
- mixing simple ("real") dirs and icon shaped shortcuts is confusing too
IMHO.

Another consideration: we already have two important GNOME applications
with a rich side panel, namely Evolution and Rhythmbox (well, this one
will be cool really soon :), and possibly a key component of our beloved
environment, the file requester, will get something similar (I might be
wrong on this one, I actually don't remember which proposal will
constitute the actual 2.4 file requester; I sure hope there will be
shortcuts to Home, Documents, etc.). So, how about thinking about this
whole "side panel" thing? I think it wouldn't be nice to have totally
inconsistent side panels for the file manager, the file requester and
some of the most important apps.

Ciao

--
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      e-mail:	rosselli cisi unito it
Dipartimento di Scienze			rosselli ling unipi it

   Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
   mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)