Re: Does nautilus hang if an NFS server is unreachable?

Hey,

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 07:36, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 12:40:49PM -0500, Peter O'Shea wrote:
> > Is nautilus waiting for this server to become available?  Isn't there a
> > timeout specified somewhere?
>
> The timeout is normally in the kernel. Design bug in NFS; if you touch
> an NFS filesystem that's hung, then your app hangs, and there is no
> way to avoid it. (Other than using threads.)
>
> Nautilus probably just tries to stat() all volumes in mtab or
> something.

	I think this might be a result of Nautilus looking for trash folders on
the NFS mount - the solution we went with for our release was to only
use a single trash folder in the home directory rather than one for each
mount.

	The patch is in sun-patches/nautilus/783-4789033-s.diff. Not sure if
this has been discussed in bugzilla or on this list or not. Niall or
Stephen could give more details ...

Good Luck,
Mark.