Re: An object Oriented File Manager Design

Mark -

It's as beautifully simple and elegant as it is well thought out and
explained... I would love such a file manager... but I think its
shortcomings lie in who you and I are... you and I are both extremely
technically literate people with a natural intuition about working
within any computing environment be they graphical or CLI... any system
that gets plopped down in front of us, we'll develop a natural
comfortability and understanding of the paradigm of interaction with
that environment...

Unfortunately, most computer users are not like this... To us such a
solution is extremely simple and elegant in that there are only a
handful of fixed rules of interaction (DnD, Context Menus, etc.)... but
computer users who are not wired like you and me need visual choices of
what to do... this is why most users are terrified and confused by the
CLI; there's no visual option of what to do except the blinking cursor
indicating you should type something... these users need the visual
presence of back, up, forward, home, location bar, etc. to make it clear
that these are among the options of what they can do... you and I might
say it's quite obvious that these choices are in the context menu or
they are irrelevant within this paradigm, but the context menu is hidden
until summoned and technically illiterate people don't operate on an
abstract enough level to adopt paradigms...

Feel free to differ... maybe I'm just spouting some deeply held
misconceptions within the school of UI design... but regardless your
solution is  beautiful, elegant, and simple... we should all be so
lucky...

-jag

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 14:20, MArk Finlay wrote:
> I've been trying to work out in my head how to make a truly simple
> object oriented file manager for a while now. And while I am most likely
> totally wrong this is what I have come up with:
>
> http://evolvedoo.sourceforge.net/oo-file-manager.html
>
> Thought some people on desktop-devel and nautilus-list might be
> interested. If this design is good for nothing else, it might inspire
> some intesting discussion.
Joshua Adam Ginsberg	       Cellphone: 970.749.8530
Rice University '02	       Email: joshg myrealbox com
St. Mark's School of Texas '98
safety." - Benjamin Franklin