Re: File type determination

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 10:28 +0100, John Smith wrote:
>  Why not use the i-b-e in the "visual" part (advantage: fast) and
> the i-b-c when it matters, namely when running/double clicking a file
> and let them enhance each other? "Hey, this .png realy wants to run a
> a perl script, let's warn the user".

Then you're givingthe user two different signals.
The user has been told its a png by the icon and the user wants to see
the png. When you then say "Actually, its a perl script are you sure"
the user is going to still want to see the png and click yes.
Yes, its dumb, but I can imagine my parents doing just that.

iain