Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach
- From: Raul Acevedo <raul cantara com>
- To: iain <iain prettypeople org>
- Cc: Fabio Gomes <bugtraq gs2 com br>, nautilus-list gnome org, gnome-list gnome org, gnome-devel-list gnome org, gnome-vfs-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Suggestion for file type detection approach
- Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:14:18 -0800
> I disagree...
> I've been using nautilus heavily for many years
> And haven't to my recollection ever come across a file that was misIDed.
> You yourself have only found one.
> On the other hand, I've had to download many files that are misnamed,
> badly named or have some other fault with their filename.
Considering the performance penalty, I would much, much rather prefer to
have Nautilus go by extension than by sniffing. In most cases,
extensions will be correct. And in all cases, sniffing will be many
It is not worth slowing Nautilus down by several hundred fold just to
have a slight increase in its ability to detect odd file content cases.
] [Thread Prev