Re: retrieving passwords for login purposes

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 06:23, Cristóvão B. B. Dalla Costa wrote:
> Em Qua, 2003-12-17 às 18:35, Alexander Larsson escreveu:
> > On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 21:03, Cristóvão B. B. Dalla Costa wrote:
> > > In my organization the need has come up to work around many apps'
> > > limitations regarding the SMB filesystem -- while VFS apps will open
> > > documents transparently over SMB filesystems others such as OpenOffice
> > > won't. Therefore I'm working on a Nautilus 2.4 patch to address that
> > > point.
> >
> > The Ximian OpenOffice has patches to support using gnome-vfs to read
> > files. I think this is a better approach to this, since it will always
> > be better integrated and work better than special-case hacks.
>
> Well, OpenOffice OK, but there are many other apps. Thanks for the help
> though.

Another possible solution would be to write a GnomeVFS method that wraps
up smbmount and displays information by navigating the mounted
filesystem (much like the standard file method). You could then just
wrap whichever program you wanted to use with a script to translate the
GnomeVFS URI to the file's location on the mountpoint (e.g.:
smb://foo/export/home/myfile -> /smb/foo/export/home/myfile).

I haven't tried this yet, so I'm not sure how well it would actually
work..
--
William Lachance <wlach nit ca>