RE: Column View

> Yes, the column view came from NeXTStep. I think that the
> NeXT UI was designed for ease of use and was based on user
> testing.

I hope that the NeXT UI was based on user testing, but that does suggest
that it was added to MacOS because it was in NeXT rather than because it was
a good idea. I am willing to accept that I am the only user in the world who
was confused by the column view, but I am sceptical of that.

 What concerns me the most about this whole thread,
> is we have someone
> willing to work and contribute a nautilus view and are being
> discouraged because his addition may not be "usefull enough".

It's also important not to discourage the voicing of opinions. It's
difficult to know who is a new contributor and who needs to be treated
particularly gently. In the long run it's something that people have to get
used to.

> We should be encouraging this work and testing it out when
> its completed then judge its usefullness.

I think it might be more discouraging to tell someone "Yes, go ahead, good
idea" and then say "Actually, no, we don't want this".

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net