Re: How do I display all file attributes in main window pane?

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 07:47, Max Buchheit wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I've just upgraded to Red Hat 8.0 and was disappointed to see that the GNOME interface to MC was gone. I'm just getting the hang of nautilus as a file manager, but am frustrated by it not displaying the permissions, uid, gid (or user & group names) in a long list format ( as in "ls -l" ). This would be tremendously useful, especially when one has to do file system cleanups and have more than one file manager window open to juggle things around. The only recourse is to painfully examine each individual files "properties" with a right-mouse click. This is not the solution. The user should be able to customize the fields that are to be  displayed in the list format.
>
> Nautilus, right now, is no friendlier than MS win98 file manageer (ugh!). Gnome MC had the right idea, but where is it now.
>
> Have I missed something or are people still working on these problems? Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

In the preferences dialog under the icon captions tab, set one of the
drop-downs to "permissions".

This is only for the icon view, though. I don't think the list view can
have that column type ('though I'm not sure).

> ...Max
>
> PS: are there X based alternatives to Nautilus as a file manager?

It aught to be possible to use GMC.

--Ben