Re: [Usability]Dealing with files in Gnome

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 14:26, Andrew Sobala wrote:

> > > "Remove Cut/Copy/Paste from the file operations.
> > > Add a Pick Up operation.
> > >   Using this on a file, selected files, or either in sequence
> > >   adds the file(s) to a list (or whatever data type)
> >
> > Please keep in mind that adding names to a list might not be enough. On of the
> > biggest problems of the cut and paste stuff in the file-manager is that copy
> > doesn't copy the file. So the user *thinks* he can delete it and later use
> > paste. I think this general problem applies to Pick and Drop as well. I think
> > protection against deleting a picked file is important. Maybe Nautilus could
> > hold an file descriptor open for all picked files (Inux would ensure that the
> > files won't go away, either by umounting or deleteing).
>
> That would only work on local files though.
>
> What would happen if nautilus hung and had to be killed? Would the file
> descripter go with the processes, or would it never close?

While I like this idea, and the semantics, there were usability issues
with nautilus when it didn't the use cut/copy/paste metaphor.  See the
nautilus list archives for the 'cut/copy/paste' and 'I am going to
implement cut, copy, pasteforfiles' threads.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.