Re: [Usability]Dealing with files in Gnome

Hi Julien,

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Julien Olivier wrote:

> XMMS (viewer app)). Now, Nautilus should also have a "browse files in
> this folder" button (directly on the toolbar). This button should launch
> another Nautilus window. In this new window, Nautilus should show the
> first document using an embedded viewer and you should be able to use
> previous/next icons to move from one file to another.
>
> Wouldn't that be great ?

I don't really like that idea. It would introduce different "modes of
operation" in Nautilus. When a user would activate this, go somewhere else
and come back again, how would (s)he know if the second window is in
"file browsing" or in "folder" mode?

Also I think your idea places the role of Nautilus as an application too
much on the foreground. By this I mean that I believe Nautilus should act
as "transparent" and unobtrusive as possible. By having users perform a
magical dance to activate internal viewers I think you're not doing them a
service.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778