Re: [patch] remove grody code, add spiffy new code for initial desktop population

Colin Walters <walters debian org> writes:
> Ok, I think that makes sense.  So in my Debian "desktop-base" package, I
> would just drop a script in ${sysconfdir}/desktop-directory/populate.d,
> which would copy the .desktop files from /usr/share/desktop-base into
> ~/Desktop.

Exactly. Well, for now in ~/.gnome-desktop, as nautilus isn't going to
work with ~/Desktop yet. desktop-directory-utils would need to stay in
sync with current GNOME/KDE reality.

> Right.  Ok.
>
> So the main thing now is getting the KDE people to agree to use it?

That'd be ideal, though of course we can use it for GNOME either way.
I don't remember them being against the idea, when it came up before.

The KDE patch should be pretty simple, as long as ~/.gnome-desktop and
~/Desktop are separate; the only hard part there was merging the two,
because we have to spec out what Home.desktop and Trash.desktop are
like. We can go incrementally here though, and start using d-d-u and
then do the unification thing.

> (By the way, I am going to package desktop-directory-utils for Debian).

Cool stuff.

Havoc