Re: What the hell is wrong with Nautilus

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 6:18 pm, J. Gardner Biggs wrote:
|  As a new user of linux / gnome / ximian, I have made the following
|  observation about software projects written for linux.
|
|  It seems that they start out with good intentions, are developed until
| they are somewhat functional, and then die on the vine from being
| overbloated with buggy features or another "sexier" project comes along, or
| the developer has realized that programming for linux doesn't pay the bills
| and begins to devote his time to monetary pursuits.

It pretty much depends on project.
You can't blaim one project because other project failed.

For example, in 2001 IceWm developemnt was quite active, and project was
moving quite fast. But than copule of key hackers decided that thye have
different priorities, and IceWM became some kind of *frozen* project.

Another example is Enlightenment.
A lot of people were waiting for E 17 (0.17), but it's still not here.
And it seems Rasterman is disappointed in "Linux Desktop" idea in general, and
in E / Imlib2 -in particular.

One warranty which you can have to avoid such things is to have *a lot* of
people, better volunteers (as "paid people" tend to disappear after company
is bancrupted/out of money), working on that project.
It's very nice that Nautilus is alive, even after Eazel is gone.

Besides, you may want to take a look as SourceForge fron page.
It says that there are 48000 projects registered just on SourceForge, plus
Kernel, GNOME and KDE have *huge* CVS repositories.
 I doubt that all thos epeople/projects will disappear in one time.
People are moving, changing priorities, but Open-Source community enjoys
growing number of users, and growing number of developers.
And I am very much optimistic about final results! :-)

--
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky