Re: What the hell is wrong with Nautilus

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 11:36, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> mime filtered scripts is the wrong solution to the core problem, which is
> that the gnome mime handling totally sucks ass. Implementing mime
> filtering will just give us duplicate functionallity when we eventually
> fix it. And until then the maintainance and implementation of it will take
> time from the real fix, and the existance of the bad fix lessens the
> chances that the real fix will be done.

Ok, I thought from another devel list that gnome mime support was on the
edge of being "fixed".

In that case adding as just another action in the list of actions
available on an open right click would not be that difficult.  In fact
in my post my only qualm was to do that for every text mime type for
example would be a pain and it would nice to have a utility to add that
mime action to a whole category of mime types since Nautilus scripts
would many times be used for multiple file types.

Also, I understand that a bad fix sometimes lessens the chances that a
real fix will be done but if there are only two active coders and a list
of functions that have already been implemented through the
functionality of scripting which is built into Nautilus then use it.

It is not like including a flaky plugin for support of a missing
feature.  People are using Nautilus functionality (the scripts) to add
features that the majority of people want.

--
Johnathan Bailes	BAE Systems ESI

 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn
---