Re: What the hell is wrong with Nautilus

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Johnathan Bailes wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 09:58, Luis Villa wrote:
> > I might add that starting an email with 'what the hell is wrong with...'
> > is a very sure recipe for having nautilus hackers (indeed, most free
> > software hackers) delete the email unread. It makes you come off as a
> > total dick, which, after reading the (mostly) very thoughtful email you
> > sent, you don't seem to be.
> >
> > Luis
>
> I understand that might be how such an email could be taken.  However, I
> have been using nautilus for a very looong time.  Many lists of missing
> features come from people that are working from first impressions or
> have no idea from this list what the issues are surrounding the why
> reasons behind certain features have not been included in Nautilus so
> far.

I will tell you the very simple reason. Read this very very very
carefully, over and over until you've understood it:

Nautilus doesn't have all the features you want because very few people
are hacking on it. Basically, about two people actively hack on it (not
full time, some paid time, mostly spare time). (there are also some people
helping out with bugzilla)

Writing long lists of wanted features does not help. I'm sorry.

And I must say that the subject did not help. Reading a mail when you
initially think the author is an idiot doesn't make your think more
carefully about the contents, quite the opposite.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a scarfaced sweet-toothed assassin with a secret. She's a cold-hearted
gypsy college professor in the witness protection program. They fight crime!