Re: patch for #83964

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 07:09, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Some general comments:
>
> Switching types seems a bit busted. It's frequently very slow, and
> sometimes it doesn't work att all after a while (the menu keeps
> disappearing each time you pop it up.)
>
> I don't think we really want to expose all the crack desktop file types in
> a general desktop file editor. Only Application and Link, and possibly
> FSDevice (but we should not call it that).
>
> It doesn't seem done yet ui-wise. Only Application and Link have
> reasonable UI for editing, and even Link has some issues (It still has the
> run in terminal checkbox).

Does it really make sense to be able to change the type of a launcher.
Isn't the fact that both app launchers and links are .desktop files an
implementation detail that users shouldn't need to be aware of. It would
be nice to be split the new launcher dialog into two dialogs create new
app launcher, create new link as well. Of course this could be equally
confusing i guess since we now would have make link (symlink) and new
link(.desktop link file) not really sure what to do about that.

Also sort of off topic but it would be cool to be the properties page
somewhat plugable so that that mime specific properties can be included
in the dialog (ex. for mp3s allow id3 tag editing as this is a property
of an mp3 file that user might actually want to change).

dave