Re: Definition of "desktop" - was a Usability topic.

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Eugene O'Connor wrote:

> This term also affects Nautilus, so cc'ing the list.
>
> Pat Costello wrote:
> >
> > Jeff states:
> >
> > > But the desktop is the "thingy wot has icons on it"...
> >
> > Interestingly, there has been low-intensity smouldering over the term "desktop"
> > for some time. I'd like to refer you (and everyone else) to the GNOME Foundation
> > statement on the http://www.gnome.org/intro/findout.html page, namely:
> >
> > o The GNOME desktop: an easy to use windows-based environment for users.
> >
> > This definition does not imply that the desktop is the "thingy behind the
> > icons". This definition in fact implies that the desktop is the sum of all
> > parts, in other words the complete environment. The documentation team have
> > attempted to apply this definition consistently. The GNOME Foundation definition
> > for "desktop" has some logical consequences. The foremost of these consequences,
> > as far as the present discussion is concerned, is that "Desktop" is the single
> > most globally-encompassing term available to us, not GNOME. Another consequence
> > of the GNOME Foundation definition of "desktop" is that the "thingy behind the
> > icons" must be called the "desktop background".

I'm aware of this definition, but that doesn't change the fact that on
other systems such as Mac and Windows the term "desktop" means "the
thingy in the background where icons are stored" since long before there
was a Gnome project.

- Where did you save the file?
- I put it on the desktop.
Is a common thing to hear from users (even Gnome users)[1]. While almost
nobody references the "desktop" in the semi-defined all-encomapssing
meaning.

So I think this definition is pretty silly. It's contrary to typical usage
and the new meaning of  "desktop" is one rarely used. Therefore I have not
really cared about any "inconsistancies" in desktop-usage in Nautilus.

You can't change everyones usage of this. People will not ever start
saying "desktop background", it's just too clumsy and long. Don't fight
the users. Anyway, people are good at handling words with multiple
meanings, it's just computers (and computer geeks?) that have a problem
with it.

[1] I once asked a mac user where a file stored on the Desktop was
actually stored (i.e. I wanted to know what harddrive/share and
directory). He was like, "uh? It's on the desktop, what do you mean?".

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an unconventional hunchbacked inventor on the edge. She's a
transdimensional renegade widow from aristocratic European stock. They fight
crime!