Re: Definition of "desktop" - was a Usability topic.

<quote who="Pat Costello">

> However, in Roberto's suggestion for menu rejigging, the Foot Menu had
> dropped out. Main Menu had taken over from the existing Actions Menu with
> some additions. My suggestion was that the menus in that category are
> global-type menus, actions taken at the top-level, not at application or
> component level. Therefore, a suitable name for that type of menu would be
> Desktop Menu.

But it wouldn't be - that would still be confusing the definition of the
word at the UI level.

  "Right-click on the desktop, choose 'Clean up by name'."
  "There's no entry for that, just Log Out, Shut Down, ..."
  "Are you clicking on the Desktop menu?"
  "Yes."

  "You can log out from the desktop menu."
  "But mine just has file management stuff in it..."
  "Which menu?"
  "The menu for the desktop."

Etc.

- Jeff

--
   "The aim of the release process is to finish software, not to develop
                         it..." - Havoc Pennington