Re: [patch] Bug 88585, Sorting of size column is messed up

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, David Emory Watson wrote:
> > To see one reason why we shouldn't go with your suggestion (i.e. the
> > evolution way) think about this: if we change the ordering for names
> > in the list view then we become inconsistent with the icon view.  If
> > we change the ordering for the icon view, then "sort by name" becomes
> > reverse alphabetical order!?
>
> I do not see why that is. An ascending alphabetical sort *is*
> "alphabetical order", not reverse alphabetical order.

The list view is currently _designed_ to match the icon view.  When column
$foo is clicked, the list is sorted into the same order used in in the
icon view when "Arrange Items" -> "By $foo" is selected.  If a column is
clicked twice, the same effect is the same as selecting "Arrange Items" ->
"Reversed Order".

> If in the end it is arbitrary, it is broken.
>
> up = ascending, down = descending. That's not arbitrary at all. That's
> logical.

Sure, it's logical.  Your just using the wrong logic (i.e. your axioms are
arbitrary and I don't accept them).

 - David