Re: toolbar issues

On 21 May 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 03:40, Alex Larsson wrote:
> > > At the moment the Galeon and Nautilus toolbars have a rightclick popup
> > > menu on the back, up, and forward buttons. While this is very useful,
> > > it's not very obvious that it's there. Also it has a lot of
> > > implementation problems, like bonoboui not really supporting rightclick
> > > stuff on toolbar buttons and stuff like that.
> > > IMHO Gnumeric and AbiWord solved this much better by having an arrow
> > > butotn next to their undo/redo buttons which drops down a list of
> > > possible actions. See http://nl.linux.org/~jorn/Files/dropdown.png.
> > > That way it's clear it's there, and there are no implementation
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > Personally I would love to see that in both Nautilus and Galeon. I'm
> > > writing the Galeon toolbar code, but I could also make a patch for
> > > Nautilus if people are interested ...
> >
> > Yeah. I'd love this. We're in a UI freeze, but perhaps we can get this one
> > thing past the release team. Hopefully it fixes the stupid
> > theme-background fuckup on the forward and back buttons too.
>
> 	Guys, it's _Really_ unclear to me how the vague proposal above "having
> an arrow button next to their undo/redo buttons ..." actually maps to
> any concrete proposal whatsoever.

Did you look at the more concrete patch that implemented it?

> 	It seems to me Alex got gotcha'd by some stray UI innovator.

innovator? Both Mozilla and Galeon has it. And i believe IE too.

> 	On the concrete side of doing it; to do it I propose adding an extra
> menu type [ since it does seem that this type is rather useful ],
>
> 	<toolitem verb="Back" _label="Go Back"/>
> 		<context button="3">
> 			<menuitem  verb="RemoveButton"
> 			 _label="RemoveButton" .../>
> 		</context>
> 		<popdown id="GoToLocation">
> 			<menuitem name="foo" value="file:///"
> 			 _label="/" .../>
> 			<menuitem name="baa" value="smb:///"
> 			 _label="baa" .../>
> 		</popdown>
> 	</toolitem>
>
> 	And then we snarf the gnumeric code straight into libbonoboui and have
> done with it.

I'd rather not have to constantly modify the xml when the history list
changes. But it makes sense to have some sort of support for this in
bonoboui.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a sword-wielding ninja barbarian with acid for blood. She's a brilliant
red-headed college professor with a song in her heart and a spring in her
step. They fight crime!