Re: Why nautilus is no fast ?

On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 03:59, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 18:01, Andrew Sione Taumoefolau wrote:
> > Hi Rodier,
> >
> > > I'm french, and I use Debian woody
> > > Why nautilus is so slow, to simpl load my home directory, who contains
> > > about 50 files and directories ?
> > > Do nautilus developpers work to made it faster ?
> >
> > The GNOME 2 releases of Nautilus are all blazingly fast, and packages
> > for the most recent release are available in unstable. Consider updating
> > your sources list and apt-get'ing them.
> >
> yes, just put:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main
>
> into your /etc/apt/sources.list, and 'apt-get install nautilus1.1'. As
> Andrew says, nautilus for GNOME 2 is really fast.

If you want to keep up with nautilus1.1 releases, you'll need

APT::Default-Release experimental;

in /etc/apt/apt.conf, otherwise apt will not recognize any updates to
experimental. I installed nautilus1.1-1.1.15 using the same steps
Rodriqo mentioned, but when nautilus1.1 went from 1.1.15 to 1.1.16, apt
claimed I already had the latest release until I added the above line to
apt.conf.

A reminder though: this is the experimental branch; debian developers
assume you can fix your own system and that you won't complain to them
if you install anything from experimental and it breaks your box
(they'll take a bug report though:). That said, in my experience,
nautilus1.1 is stable and dependable.

--
First Impressions are Bunk.